Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lucky the Tourist and the 1890's

I'd like to go back in time to the late eighteen hundreds or so, some urban center with electric rail service. I would ride around for a day and find a mark, some respectable looking person, middle class, probably has a family and a lot to be thankful for.
I would sit next to him and, if the past was ANYTHING like the present, across from us or somewhere in plain view would be someone doing/saying something blatantly stupid or distasteful (maybe even both at once). I would lean over to my mark and say clearly, but so that only they could hear, "In the future you would only glimpse that person briefly as they sped past at ninety miles an hour piloting their own craft."
I think if they could get past incredulity they might just settle down for a good cry. Meanwhile the subject of the exchange would go to pick their nose but miss and poke themself in the eye.

No comments: